Style Inspiration (Seamingly Bloggers Edition!) Interview with Kristen
1. Where are you from and where are you living now?
I am from Hickory Tavern, South Carolina and I now live in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.
2. When it comes to clothes, how would you describe your style?
Oh god, I didn't realize how hard this question is.
No single word comes to mind... Lately, I'm really inspired by style from the early 90's. I think it's from watching Twin Peaks. I was prepared to be Audrey Horne for Halloween and when I didn't get the chance to wear it on Halloween, I just wore it the next Friday. It was great, I actually got compliments. I have no idea what that says about my sense of style. I think it's constantly changing and regardless of how I look you can guarantee that I made sure I was comfortable. I have to be able to take an impromptu nap at any given time.
3. What are some of your staple items? Is there anything that you just couldn’t live without?
Sometimes I just really don't want to wear pants and so I don't think that I could ever go without dresses, skirts, and tights for when those moments arise.
4. How do you decide what to throw on for the day?
Mood and weather are the greatest determinants. Sometimes my mood over takes the aspect of weather and that's when things get really fun.
5. Do you have any inspirations for your style? and what are you wearing right now?
Style Inspiration is still Audrey Horne. I've pretty much thrifted and re-paired everything I own to work through this phase.
6. What are some articles of clothing that you feel the most comfortable in?
Knee-high sweater socks are f'n wonderful.
7. What are some of your favorite brands/designers/stores?
There are a ton that I love that I can't afford and don't intend to splurge on any time soon, (sorry to) Tory Burch and Chloe. Then there are brands that I have to go to for good jeans like Gap or Madewell because I only buy 2-3 at a time, every blue moon.
I also love every old brand that I've thrifted, but I don't know the names of them because I rarely see them twice. It honestly makes me so happy that I can spend $1 and get better quality and more uniqueness than say, Forever 21? Not that I don't shop there. Thank you to Julie for taking me to Goodwill and teaching me your ways.
8. What advice do you have for other guys/gals that would like to achieve a similar style?
My thought process - 1. Be open to anything. 2. Stop worrying about it. 3. Look the way that you want to and watch it catch on.
9. Is there a color that you most often incorporate into your outfit, whether it be intentional or non-intentional?
Nope, I don't think so. Oh wait, olive-ish shades of green!
10. If we could go through your family photos and see a photographic documentary of your style phases, which style phase would be the most embarrassing? We’ve all had them!
I'm pretty unapologetic about my style choices even though I'm not that flashy or outrageous. I think my emo style in high school is probably the worst though, the self portraits too. It was all fun and I'd do it all again, but it does cause me to cringe slightly when I look at it now.
11. Do you have a hidden hobby? or a hobby that not everyone knows about?
I'm on the internet, so I feel like my hobbies are all out in the open. I think this is my solid grouping of multiple hidden hobbies, that I made public (Seamingly).
12. What goals did you want to achieve for your adult self when you were five or so?
I didn't do a lot when I was five, I probably wanted to be able to swing higher than anyone else or to have the longest record for climbing and hiding in trees. So, let's try seven, by the time I was seven I wanted to paint watercolors or be a *scientist*.
13. Have those goals changed? and what are they now?
I wouldn't mind still finding the time to be proficient in any of those things that I listed in number 12, but right now - I want to continue to grow Seamingly, shoot more film and more film stills (kristenmbryant.com), learn User Experience, read a lot, be nice to people, and be happy.
14. Will you tell us about a struggle, recent or not, that you’ve overcome?
I am the worst about beating myself up! I am my own worst critic. I have really tackled that lately and I'm not done yet, at all. I encourage everyone to overcome their inner critics.
15. Pick your poison!
Three Random Facts About Kristen:
1. I have a yellow cat named Penny and I didn't know he was a boy when I named him. I guess the first fact is mostly about my cat.
2. I have a really gnarly scar on my big toe ... of my right foot.
3. People find it odd that I was once a basketball cheerleader, but truthfully I love to dance. My friend Lisa and I, actually choreographed the dance that was performed every game during half time. (Thanks to Bring It On for loads of inspo.)